Vegan chocolate mousse!
Serves 2-4 | 10min + | Easy
We've said it before and we'll say it again -- we love chocolate. We absolutely adore the stuff. If you are even the slightest bit like us you'll love this recipe. Firstly, because it oozes rich chocolatey goodness and second, because it's insanely easy to make. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention, it's basically vegan.
I say basically because we used a regular block of chocolate, but you can easily substitute it for a vegan version, and voilá! Vegan chocolate mousse. This recipe was an experiment and what you see here is our first attempt at making an eggless chocolate mousse, so look forward to the fine-tuned version at some point in the future,
but it just turned out to be so ridiculously easy to make and incredibly tasty that we felt like we had to share it with you anyway!
When I decided to experiment with this recipe we didn't have any vegan chocolate at home, so I ended up using regular dark chocolate, but you can keep a secret right??
The trick to getting the mousse-y consistency is chickpeas, but more precisely the water from a can of chickpeas. Sounds weird as hell, but trust me, it works.
So let's get to it!
100g dark chocolate (as dark as you can find, we used one with 90% cocoa)
the water from a can of chickpeas (a 400g can)
1 tsp honey (or agave syrup)
- Pour the water from the chickpeas into a bowl and whisk with an electric mixer until it turns into a thick foam (save the chickpeas and use them to make our tasty green falafel)
- Melt the chocolate in a saucepan and pour into a separate bowl
- Add the avocado and honey to the chocolate and mix until smooth
- Combine carefully with the chickpea foam until everything is mixed
- Pour the mousse into the bowls you'll be serving from and place in the freezer for an hour
This is a simple and easy dessert to make when your vegan friends come over, and it has an amazing work-to-impressiveness ratio. In the sense that you have to do very little work and your guests will be really impressed, of course.