Noodles with tofu, broccoli & peanut butter sauce
Serves 2 | 20min | Easy
Here is a quick and easy everyday meal for you!
I know you've probably heard that before, somewhere, we might even have described a few of our other recipes as quick and easy. But you know, we have to try to live up to our niche of making simple, no-fuss, everyday vegetarian recipes, so that's what you're going to get. I'm sure you won't mind terribly since that's probably why you're here in the first place.
But back to the recipe, I'll to try to keep this text quick and easy as well and not go on long tangents about the healthiness and versatility of broccoli, which is an excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin K, along with numerous minerals and other vitamins (source) and is perfect in salads, soups or even smoothies; or discuss the subtleties of chop-stick use; or my favourite tv-shows (Arrested Development, The Knick, Parks & Recreation, Breaking Bad).
Short and quick. Sorry about that.
But yes, this recipe, at least, is really easy to make and very quick. In other words perfect to make as an everyday dinner right after work.
When I make this I like to bake the broccoli in the oven, because that frees up space in the frying pan and ensures that the tofu doesn't become soggy (if frying with too many other things, especially broccoli that has a lot of moisture in it), and that the broccoli is still crispy and has some bite left in it.
But if you prefer, you can use a big wok or a large frying pan instead and fry everything in one pan! That'll work just as well. Just remember not to cram your pan too full of ingredients, since you want to fry everything and not steam or boil them.
1 head of broccoli
250 g marinated tofu
a handful of cashew nuts
1 tsp red curry paste
2 cm slice of fresh ginger
oil for frying
peanut butter sauce
1 TBSP PEANUT BUTTER (SUGAR FREE!)
½ TBSP APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
1 TBSP SOY SAUCE
1 tbsp WATER
- Turn your oven on to 200°C
- Chop (or rip) the broccoli into large chunks and bake on a baking tray in the middle of the oven for 15min until soft
- While the broccoli is in the oven, prepare everything else
- Chop the tofu into small cubes and fry in oil until golden brown and crispy (remember to turn them around often so they don't burn)
- Once the tofu is done, set it aside
- Prepare the noodles according to the instructions on the package -- usually involves pouring boiling water over them and waiting a few minutes
- Add a dollop of oil into the now empty frying pan and grate the ginger directly into it, then add the red curry paste and cashew nuts and fry on a medium heat until the nuts start turning slightly brown (again, remember to stir often!)
- Once the nuts are done, drain the water from your noodles and toss them into the frying pan, along with the egg and stir-fry for a minute more
- Place your noodles in a bowl and toss the tofu and broccoli on top, serve with the peanut butter sauce (just mix the ingredients in a bowl with a spoon) and some chili flakes