Makes 12-14 mini-pizzas | 20min + 15min | Easy
This dish has fast become one of the most popular dishes in our home. Its quick to make, delicious, and healthy (if you want). So without further ado, we give you our take on the traditional Italian dish - aubergine pizza!
If you feel like eating pizza, but hate making and kneading dough this pizza is for you! I for one have a sensitive stomach when it comes to large amounts of yeast and flour, but this recipe has neither so you can devour it without getting a balloon stomach. Or you can make a quadruple batch and still not feel a thing (maybe).
The key to making the pizza amazing? The homemade tomato sauce. If you know what I'm talking about, then you can skip down to the next paragraph, if not - please - take a seat. Store-bought tomato sauces often have a lot of sugar in them, and even if they don't the tomatoes have been sitting in a tin can or cardboard box for god knows how long. And we don't like that one bit, now do we? No! We want organic healthy food and this is the perfect time for you to learn how to prepare your food from scratch. It's good to know what goes into a sauce and not to be fooled by labels. But most importantly, homemade tomato sauce is so much tastier then store-bought sauces. It's fresh and easy to make.
one large aubergine
a few black olives
100 g buffalo mozzarella
250 g tomatoes (we used cherry tomatoes, but normal ones work just as well)
a large clove of garlic
a large handful of fresh oregano (or basil, or both!)
- Turn your oven on to 225°C
- Slice the aubergine into approximately 2cm thick slices and place them on a baking tray
- Drizzle some olive oil and plenty of salt on them - then place them in the oven for 10-15min while you make the tomato sauce
- Make the tomato sauce by first frying the garlic in a dash of olive oil until it gets a hint of colour
- Add the (sliced and diced) tomatoes and give it a good mix, then turn down the heat a little bit (you might have to add a dash of water if the tomatoes are too dry)
- Let the tomato simmer for 10min until the tomatoes start breaking apart, throw in the oregano and add a big pinch of salt and let simmer until it becomes nice and saucy
- Take the aubergines out of the oven when they are just a little bit brown and put them to the side to cool down
- Chop your toppings and start saucing the aubergines!
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly on the aubergine slices, add the mushrooms, olives and top with the mozzarella (that you've casually ripped and just thrown on top like Jamie Oliver would, of course)
- Throw everything back in the oven for 10-15min until the mozzarella is melted and slightly crispy around the edges
- Take the pizza out, pair it with red wine (or white, we're not picky), Italian dinner music and your favourite person.
- You're good to go. Bon appetit!
You can also make this into a full meal for two by doubling the recipe and slicing the aubergine lengthwise to make bigger pizza "slices".
We recommend that you to prepare this dish on a Friday. Why? Well because you worked hard all week long, you don't want to stand too long in the kitchen preparing food, and damnit if you don't deserve to eat something nice! In Finland there is a concept called pitsa perjantai, which means pizza friday. It was thought up by an ad agency a while back and now it's a tradition as holy as christmas, and we love it. In Sweden they eat tacos on Fridays (what is with nordic people and eating food from warm countries on Fridays?) we are very skeptical to this but we'll give it a try. Someday. Today we're having pizza!