Root vegetables with cinnamon halloumi
Serves 3 | 45 min | Easy
This cinnamon halloumi dish is perfect to prepare when you're very tired and don't want to stand in then kitchen for a long time. Also, it tastes like autumn.
This weekend has been very relaxing for us, we decided to have a completely plan-free weekend, just to able to sleep in and work on what we love the most - this blog. Sadly we can only work on our blog on the weekends due to only working with natural light and living in Scandinavia. Two things that are almost mutually exclusive in October.
As you know we've only had our blog for about 2 months, and during that time we've evolved and learned so much. It's been so much fun, but also a lot of hard work and brainstorming to make the best food blog we can imagine.
Our plan has, and always will be, to create a blog where you'll be inspired to make food, but also be able to prepare the dish without going to a special store or buying expensive or rare ingredients.
The idea is to make food with simple everyday ingredients -- if you don't have blueberries but want to make our blueberry banana pancakes, then you should use whatever you have -- and to enjoy your everyday food, eat a healthy and varied diet, preferably with what's in season, and eat vegetarian food as often as possible.
We want to show you that eating vegetarian food is not boring, will keep you satisfied and is so much more than salad and tofu. We have endless ideas for this blog, so we hope you keep reading, commenting, sharing, cooking and liking, and we'll keep inspiring you!
A big THANK YOU to all of you, our lovely readers and friends, who send us notes of appreciation and pictures of our meals you've made. Keep at it, we'll never get sick of it. We love reading about it, and still get as happy as the first time someone sent us a food picture of their recreation of a cake and beans recipe.
If you ever have questions, comments or requests then comment below the recipe, send us a Facebook message or write to us on Instagram.
I think we can all agree that it's hard to find the time and energy to cook complicated dinners every day.
So here's a perfect dinner for you to make when you come home from a long day at work and really don't feel like cooking at all.
I made this dish one day after work when I was starving and falling a sleep at the same time (classic autumn symptom). You put the oven on - throw in some sliced vegetables and go lie on the couch for 30 minutes while the vegetables roast in the oven. Very easy and autumn friendly! Btw, the cinnamon halloumi tastes amazing, such a new flavour experience.
200 g halloumi
- Cut all of the root vegetables into small wedges or strips, but chop the carrot and the potato into smaller sizes then the rest because they need more time in the oven and will bake faster if they're small
- Place them on a baking tray and sprinkle some olive oil, salt and pepper on them
- Bake them for 30 min at 200°C
- Slice the halloumi into 2 cm thick slices
- Spread a thin layer of cinnamon and chili onto a plate and roll the halloumi slices in the spices until they're completely covered
- Remove the vegetables and let them cool until the halloumi is done
- Bake the halloumi slices in the oven for 12-15 min at 250°C until evenly brown (remember to flip them over half-way through)
- Place the halloumi slices on top of the root vegetables and garnish with roasted sunflower seeds and fresh herbs